The current emergency situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic gave a drastic change to the country’s economy, from now on, remote work has become the opportunity to join the company remotely. Teleworking is a new development trend to maintain your productivity and these tips will make your life more pleasant throughout this period.
The possibilities of working in an environment different from the one you were used to is a new beginning to better develop yourself and increase your performance in the activities you do. You can prevent the risk of contagion in public transport , save money, improve your diet, significantly reduce stress by avoiding a job crisis and optimize all the tasks you have to do during the day.
1. Protect yourself from contact with electricity
Electrical hazards are produced by electronic devices or electrical power points that can generate electrocution and therefore burns. Safer recommendations:
- Fix electrical installations. And if you want to repair equipment or installation, call a professional.
- Protect your equipment with an uninterruptible power supply ( UPS ) to avoid interruption by power surges or loss of information.
- Use UL-certified outlet strip to maintain continuity of the ground conductor.
- Use an outlet with easy and safe access. Do not recharge it by connecting equipment that exceeds its capacity and you can overload it.
- Do not clean any equipment while it is connected or turned on. If there is a spill on them, try to disconnect it from the electrical current. To avoid these incidents, do not eat or drink water in the same place where the electronic equipment is.
- When disconnecting a device from the electrical current hold it by the plug, never pulling the cables, do not run the risk of being burned or electrocuted.
- Everything that has to do with electrical adjustments should be checked by a qualified professional who gives it preventive maintenance.
2. Be very careful with physical risks
These risks refer to the environmental effects that harm your health in teleworking, the severity develops according to the time you are exposed to them.
Staying aware of the conditions that your workplace must have is important to reduce the risks of space, ventilation, lighting and noise.
- Space : it is necessary to have a free space, conditioned to organize the tools and equipment for the development of activities without any discomfort.
- Ventilation : Ventilation is essential for respiratory health while telecommuting. Ventilate the spaces where you are working will condition a comfortable and safe environment. You can do it naturally by opening the windows or doors, thus eliminating the winter humidity. If you use mechanisms for ventilation, preventive maintenance must be fulfilled.
- Lighting : locate your work source where there is no glare from natural or artificial light that produces annoying reflections that damage your sight. If the light is insufficient in the workspace, you can use spot light from a shaded lamp.
- Noise : Your workspace should be isolated from extreme noises such as traffic, neighbours, or noisy equipment that affect your concentration. Use a moderate volume in the electrical equipment you use and avoid suffering from anxiety or work stress that these noises can cause.
3. Keep your workspace comfortable
Ergonomic risks occur during an action or bad movement during the activity that you carry out in teleworking, such as: lifting an overload, bad posture, repetitive movements, among others.
Consequently, for these purposes, it is important to use the necessary preventive measures, use the appropriate furniture and equipment to avoid future injuries such as spinal deviation, musculoskeletal injuries or low back pain:
- Use a modular or desk to prevent pressure injuries with contact, the most comfortable thing is to have space to move your legs.
- Use a chair that is the right size for the space, made of resistant and breathable material that gives you support on the lower back and thoracic area.
- Position the monitor of your computer, laptop or screen at eye level so as not to cause inflammation or headaches due to neck rotation, flexion or extension movements.